Analyze the surveillance methods used to monitor the event/trend you selected and formulate suggestions for their improvement.
Local Public Health Events/Trends
This is for an Advanced Analysis of Community Health Data and Surveillance in Public Health course
Discussion: Local Public Health Events/Trends
Early identification of the outbreak of infectious diseases is a vital part of detecting and preventing public health problems. One essential element of early identification is monitoring events/trends at local levels which provides public health officials with data on potential outbreaks and enhanced situational awareness. As a result there is a significant need for reliable information-sharing processes (infrastructure) between local health care providers and public health officials.
This week you will explore some of the key public health information systems. You will analyze their content and how they are used and most importantly you will evaluate their potential applications.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources including the SEER (Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results) and other cancer registry websites.
- Search local news sources or other online resources for a local public health event/trend of interest to you.
- Analyze the surveillance methods used to monitor the event/trend you selected and formulate suggestions for their improvement.
Write a 2- to 3-paragraph evaluation of the event/trend you selected (the writer can choose any appropriate event/trend they like within the California). Include the following:
- A brief description of the local public health event/trend you have selected
- An explanation of the software applications/systems and surveillance methods (i.e. systems and procedures) used to monitor the event or trend you selected
- An evaluation that explains your position on whether the surveillance methods used to monitor the event/trend were/are adequate and effective
- Recommendations on how to improve the use of informatics to monitor this event/trend
Support your post with additional scholarly resources. Use APA 7 formatting for your discussion and to cite your resources.
References to use: MUST USE AT LEAST 2 OF THE BELOW RESOURCES (SEER included).
HealthyPeople.gov. (2015). Health communication and health information technology.
National Cancer Institute. (n.d.a). About the SEER program. http://www.seer.cancer.gov/about/
National Cancer Institute. (n.d.b). Information for cancer registrars.
Shapiro J. S. Mostashari F. Hripcsak G. Soulakis N. & Kuperman G. (2011). Using Health
Information Exchange to Improve Public Health. American Journal of Public Health 101(4) 616–623.
Wu L. (2014). Issue brief: Health IT for public health reporting and information systems. Office
of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. http://www.healthit.gov/sites/default/files/phissuebrief04-24-14.pdf