What social sanctions occur when someone does not do gender according to social norms? In what ways has this changed historically?
Seminar Questions (Please answer all):
- Describe what it means to “do gender”.
- Look around our virtual classroom your workplace or think back to your last family gathering. In what ways are your classmates and instructor coworkers manager and patrons/clients or relatives doing gender?
- What social sanctions occur when someone does not do gender according to social norms? In what ways has this changed historically?
Kind Reminder: Please integrate 1 or more sociological concepts from the current and/or previous chapters/modules we have already covered. Making connections among various ideas shows deep learning!
Consider these questions as you compose your write-up (these questions serve as categories for the grading rubric).
– Is the information accurate?
– Is your post relevant to the topic under discussion?
– Does your post answer the guiding questions?
– Does your post teach something new or apply a concept in a new way?
– Have you added to the academic atmosphere of this course?
- Reminders from the Socratic Seminar Directions and FAQs:
- State your claim and support it with evidence or examples from the shared reading video or podcast.
- Raise critical questions.
- Explain your answers–a simple yes or no is not acceptable. You must explain.
- You must raise at least 1 point and reply to at least 1 other student on the same topic.
- When replying to a classmate address them by their name and use “I” phrases. (i.e. I agree with Vanessa because . . . . OR I disagree with Vanessa because . . . )
- Your comment to a classmate is graded. Include substantive content and apply the same rigor in your comment to a classmate as you would in your initial write-up.
- Support your statements with textual evidence (include quotes and specific page numbers).