Describe the social determinants of health (SDOH) and sociodemographic characteristics of your target population.
7073.4.1 : Organizational Policies
The graduate evaluates existing policies at the systems level that have the potential to influence the implementation of a healthcare improvement project.
7073.4.2 : Project Target Population
The graduate uses sociodemographic and social determinants of health data to describe the target populations that will be affected by a healthcare improvement project.
7073.4.3 : Structure Process Outcomes
The graduate examines the structure processes and outcomes of an organizational plan that may facilitate or impede the implementation of a healthcare improvement project.
7073.4.4 : Implementation Planning
The graduate leads the development of a collaborative implementation plan that includes oversight of the project and the scope of work with specific tasks timelines and deliverables.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you must have completed and passed the performance assessment and clinical practice experience (CPE) for D157: Managing Resources in an Era of Disruption prior to beginning this performance assessment.
After your first course the remaining specialty courses through your capstone will each have a summative assessment that consists of an authentic performance assessment that scaffolds the tasks of a healthcare improvement project (HIP) through the project management phases of project initiation planning implementation and evaluation. Each performance assessment will focus on aspects of the project you will implement or the project you will propose for a healthcare improvement project using a real-world approach to improving healthcare. Each phase will be described in different sections of a Healthcare Improvement Project (HIP) paper.
In this performance assessment you will strategically plan the execution of your proposed HIP to help develop the skills for systems thinking problem-solving and data-driven decision-making. Planning the implementation of your HIP involves identifying people processes and procedures that need to be in place for implementation. In addition sociodemographic data on the population that may be affected by the healthcare improvement project need to be analyzed to determine risks and opportunities. It is also important for you to perform an assessment of the forces for and against the proposed implementation of the project. Finally it is important for you to identify short-term objectives and create action plans that align with the vision mission and values of the organization where the proposed project could be implemented.
This task requires the submission of your entire HIP paper template including the “Healthcare Improvement Project Implementation Plan” section of your HIP paper which you will be developing in this performance assessment and consists of the following subsections:
- “Implementation Approach”
• “Project Schedule and Gantt Chart”
• “Scope Statement”
• “Communication Management Plan”
While you must submit your entire HIP paper you will only be evaluated on the “Healthcare Improvement Project Implementation Plan” section and related appendices. This task requires the submission of the following which should be submitted as appendices to your HIP paper:
- “Action Plan Template (Appendix H)”
• “Force Field Analysis Template (Appendix I)”
• “Gantt Chart (Appendix J)”
During your clinical practice experience (CPE) you will have the opportunity to submit the “Force Field Analysis” and “Gantt Chart”. These deliverables will be evaluated in your CPE for completion not quality. When you submit these deliverables as appendices with your HIP paper in this task they will be evaluated on content and quality of completion. The CPE provides an opportunity for you to practice and improve these items before including them in your performance assessment.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources even if cited correctly. The originality report that is provided when you submit your task can be used as a guide.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
Tasks may not be submitted as cloud links such as links to Google Docs Google Slides OneDrive etc. unless specified in the task requirements. All other submissions must be file types that are uploaded and submitted as attachments (e.g. .docx .pdf .ppt).
Complete the “Healthcare Improvement Project Implementation Plan” section of your healthcare improvement project (HIP) paper by doing the following:
A. Evaluate your proposed HIP implementation approach by doing the following:
1. Describe how you would organize and lead project meetings including the method you plan to use to reach consensus on meeting agendas.
2. Explain the process you would use to determine whether the organization had existing policies that could affect the proposed implementation of your project.
- Evaluate the approach you would use to create your action plan by doing the following:
1. Submit a completed copy of the attached “Action Plan Template (Appendix H)” which includes the following components:
• “Action Item Owner Role or Title”
• “Five Action Items (specific high-level)”
• “Phase Action Item Will Be Completed (e.g. pre- during or post-implementation)”
• “Target Due Date”
2. Explain how you plan to gather input related to the development of your action plan including the method you would use to reach consensus from members of the project team.
- Describe the target population of your proposed HIP by doing the following:
1. Describe the social determinants of health (SDOH) and sociodemographic characteristics of your target population.
2. Explain how your proposed HIP would affect the target population.
- Evaluate the forces for and against the proposed implementation of your project by doing the following:
1. Submit the “Force Field Analysis Template (Appendix I)” which you completed during your CPE and that includes the following components:
- three positive forces that may drive the proposed implementation of your project
• three negative forces that may restrain the proposed implementation of your project
- Explain how each of the three positive forces and each of the three negative forces you identified in the “Force Field Analysis Template (Appendix I)” from part D1 will help you plan your proposed project implementation.
- Create strategies that may help you overcome each of the three negative forces that you identified in the “Force Field Analysis Template (Appendix I)” from part D1.
Project Schedule and Gantt Chart
E. Describe the approach you would use to create your Gantt chart by doing the following:
1. Submit the clearly visible screenshot of the Gantt chart (Appendix J) which you completed during your CPE and that should include at a minimum each of the following fields or components:
• “Tasks” (This field should list five primary-level HIP tasks.)
• “Assigned to” (This field should include the initials of the person to whom each task is assigned. Please do not include actual names of people only initials.)
• “Progress” (This field should track the percentage complete for each task [e.g. 60% complete 90% complete].)
• “Start dates” (This field should track the start date of each task.)
• “End dates” (This field should track the end date of each task.)
• “Bar chart” (The bar chart should be a visual representation of the duration of each task.)
2. Explain how you gathered information for the development of your Gantt chart.
F. Write a scope statement that includes detailed information on each of the following components:
• project justification
• 1–2 project goals
• 2–3 deliverables
• 2–3 key performance indicators (KPIs)
• project outcome statement
Communication Management Plan
G. Create a communication management plan for your proposed project implementation by including detailed information on the following components:
• intended receivers
• communication outcomes
• key messages
• message medium
- Incorporate the following components of APA style and formatting into your HIP paper:
• bias-free language
• objectivity credibility of sources and evidence-based approach
• APA-specific rules regarding verb tense voice and perspective
• a title page and headers
• APA-specific formatting rules for in-text citations and references margins spacing numbering and indentation for the title page main body and appendices of your HIP paper including headers bulleted and numbered lists and tables and figures
- Demonstrate professional communication in the content and presentation of your submission.